Ever Heard of MICO?


Photo Courtesy: Shutter stock

I was asked to write something about this new estranged world but I couldn’t come up with anything. I had nothing because honestly, I couldn’t imagine living in a world where everything is half full. Where life is one sided and sometimes had no sides at all. I was blank because I couldn’t imagine growing up shy to talk about all the things my parents bought for me or competing with my friends as I boast about all the things they were going to. I couldn’t imagine not running after a plane in the skies as I declare its ownership to my Dad even though everyone of my friends did the exact same thing. I could not imagine not crying for my moma when running from my neighbor’s dog or not threatening that bully with the wrath of my papa. I could not imagine how it feels when my friends have to go because their parents will get worried or the burn when I see someone disrespecting theirs. I could not comprehend trying to picture my dad’s face when he smiled or trying to remember my mother’s voice when she scolded at me…oh my just her laugh…please don’t forget her laugh… I could not imagine being ready to trade everything I have in this world just for one moment with them…tell them all the things I never used to… tell them how much I loved them…how hard it has been without them… how painful it is as I watch my guardians slowly grow tired of me and start using me as their house keep…mummy you took our home when you left and I am not safe anymore daddy…I miss you…I miss you soo much and I will never forget you. I will never replace you… How hard that is, I couldn’t.

But these children at MICO, these Orphans, they could. They do. Every single day of their lives because for them, it’s not an imagination, it’s their reality.

The Malindi Islamic Centre for Orphans (MICO) is a non-profit organization first established in 1994 at the coast of Kenya, Kilifi County, in Malindi district. MICO is currently working with over 500 orphans from Malindi and Watamu area. It provides them with basic education; from Nursery to University/ college; feeding services in school and health services which actually has one beneficiary; Dr. Khadija Awadh; who went up to university level through this program and is now working as a health officer. 

MICO is only able to do what it does with the help of well-wishers and beneficiaries like Dr. Khadijah. And with the increasing number of orphans in this testing world of today, it’s going to need all the help it can get.

I cannot really speak out for these kids, but the aid MICO is providing for them, it makes this life worth living for and even worth changing for the better, like Dr. Khadijah and many others, and many more like them to come God willing. They have lost half of who they are already, it doesn’t seem like a bad idea to try and put the other half back together. I know nothing of what it’s like living with one or both parents gone. But I know I can help make it easier for the ones that do, and one of the hows is through MICO. So spare a little of your time and check it out by clicking this link: malindiorphans.org  and maybe you can learn to spare a little more than time, in shaa Allah, God willing.

I really hope you’ll consider them. 

Jazakallahu Kheiran.

May Allah (God) increase you in goodness. 
  

Comments

Popular Posts